Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lesson Learned...For Mommy!

Morgan always likes to help and most of the time, I try to make a way so she can help. Today, she helped bring in and put away groceries. She has helped me bring them in for a while now, and I usually find a lighter, non-fragile bag for her to carry. Then, she usually wants to play while I put them away.

Today, she decided she wanted to help. I usually bring the groceries into the house and put the bags on the kitchen floor as I put everything away. In the past, this has always worked, but from now on, I can only leave the non-fragile items on the floor.

Big helper, Morgan, decided, while Brian and I weren't looking, to unload one of the bags. You can only imagine what happens next. Well, she tried to pick up the egg carton and bring it to us. Next thing we know, we hear an egg break, and then, and "uh-oh." Morgan, in trying to help, had spilled the eggs and one of them had broken on the kitchen floor. Somehow, all the other eggs managed to stay in the bag, unbroken. She felt so bad. She had a sad look on her face. I didn't get mad at her, I just told her that Mommy needs to put the eggs away and clean up the mess.

But I learned a lesson, and thankfully it only cost us an egg. Morgan (or any toddler, I'm sure) loves to help, but she needs to be CONSTANTLY supervised. Even if I'm just putting a box of cereal away, she can get into something!

4 comments:

Joseph and Tiffany said...

I totally know what you mean. You already heard my story about Miles helping me make dinner a couple weeks ago...

Natalie said...

Morgan is such a big helper, and that scenario sounds very familiar.....

ashley g. said...

Oh wow. Is this where we are headed? At least Morgan is so helpful! We'll keep our fingers crossed that she stays super helpful fo you!!

Becky said...

When Mercedes was that age, I asked her to put the kleenex in the bathroom on top of the toilet. Later that afternoon, I went into the bathroom to find it, but it was no-where. I searched her room and the house but I couln't find it. Until that evening... when I USED the toilet. Only then did I find where she had placed it. She put it IN the toilet... not ON the toilet. So, yes, supervision is a good thing. :)