Thursday, July 31, 2008

Husbands and Home Depot...

...when combined, will likely result in some sort of mess (see below).
First, we made the trip:
Later that evening:

Now, when you hear the story, it's not that bad.

In a nutshell, when our home was built, the electricians put a cable outlet in the wrong spot (we got to pick where we wanted them). We brought it to their attention, and instead of leaving the outlet that was misplaced, but already hooked up, wired, etc., they took off the faceplate and left all the wiring in the wall and connected to the main electrical box. Then, they put different wires to the correct location. We know this because our basement is unfinished and we can follow the wiring to the original (incorrect) location, as well as the other (correct) locations.

So, we knew that if we ever wanted to put the TV in the front room, all we needed to do was find the wires in the wall. Pretty easy, right? Yeah. Brian didn't want to make a big mess, so he spent over 30 minutes measuring precisely where the cord went from the basement into the wall, how far it was from a few key points of reference, etc.

Then, he bravely cut a hole (the biggest one on the right). Then, he pulled out the insulation. Then, he pulled out more insulation. Then, he called my dad to make sure he hadn't missed a step (which he knew he hadn't, but he wanted to make sure). The conclusion--the cables obviously aren't in the wall at that point, so they could be anywhere, along any stud on the wall.

Great! Now I'm imagining an entire wall full of little holes as Brian searches for the wires. That'll be attractive.

So, Brian cuts hole #2. As he pulls out his first handful of insulation, I say to him, "Wouldn't it be funny if you found the wire right here, on the other side of the stud? I would just laugh." His response: "Start laughing," as he pulls out the cable. Poor guy.

Then comes hole #3. Directly above hole #2, this is the location that we actually want to put the outlet. So, Brian cuts the hole, makes the necessary connections, and voila! We have another cable outlet that the utility company wanted to charge us $100+ to put in!

I decided to make this post to show my dad the end result of Brian's efforts, and also to publicly remind Brian that I am fully aware that a trip to Home Depot will likely mean a mess and possibly another trip in the near future (to get stuff to repair the wall). It's okay and I'm way impressed in his ability to move our cable and internet lines to another jack in the house. Plus, I'm the one who asked him to do it when we have a 3 day old baby. I can't get mad if something goes wrong! Thank goodness it's fixed now! Love you, sweetie! Thank you!

3 comments:

Alie said...

Wow, Mr. Fix-it! Go Brian! :)

Anonymous said...

First off I had Brandon guess what was going on by just the reciept and he said "he is trying to fix an outlet or something..." kudos to Brandon! And Brian, now to fix the wall go back to home depot (I know... terrible thought), or Walmart (a little safer we hope!) Buy a metal backed drywall patch and the necessary spackle to repair the seams with sand paper to smooth it out. (that is the easiest way). The better way; more difficult way... is to take the dry wall knife and cut a square stud to stud horizontally, and screw a new piece of drywall into the studs to cover the hole. And spackle and sand paper to make it all "pretty". And then the easy part... paint! Voila patched wholes! P.S. Can't you just find a picture to cover the hole (brandon laughing as he says this)!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

I wouldn't have been brave enough to attempted that myself. Brian--I'm way impressed too. By the way---I can't wait to see more pictures of baby Sadie. Post 'em when you can!!