Monday, July 23, 2012

Inside Out Strawberries

That's their new name at our house. Most people would probably call them Chocolate Filled Strawberries, though.

I saw a post on Pinterest for Chocolate Filled Strawberries, and thought, "I've got to try that! Chocolate Dipped Strawberries are so messy (to make and eat)!"

So, along with my trusty 6-year old photographer, here's how we made our delectable treats.  Oh, and there aren't any pictures of us enjoying them because they were gone before I grabbed the camera!

You'll need:

*fresh strawberries
*empty, clean egg carton
*chocolate chips
*plastic 1-gallon food bag (doesn't need to be zip top)

First clean out the insides of the strawberries (I think it's called "hulling").  No need to clean them out more than usual.  There's plenty of room for chocolate.  Trust me.


Measure out about 1/2-3/4 cup of chocolate chips.  3/4 cup was plenty for 18 medium strawberries.  But, in my experience from melting chocolate, it's far easier to melt too much and have extra than to melt more later.

While you are melting the chocolate chips (50% power in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.  Be sure to stir every 30-45 seconds), cut the tip of a bag.  I used a decorating bag because I have a ton, but a ziploc would be just fine.  I also used a tip, but it took longer to wash the chocolate out than it did to fill the strawberries, so I'll skip the tip next time around.  Just make sure your hole is pretty small (a pencil-sized hole is about right).

Pour your melted chocolate into the bag.  Sorry, no picture here.  My photographer doubled as my sous-chef.

Squirt the chocolate into the strawberries.  I filled mine to just overflowing and it was perfect!

Refrigerate to harden the chocolate and enjoy!  Delicious!  And, the kids stayed much cleaner eating them, too!


1 comment:

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Yum! We are going to try these for our next FHE treat. Thanks for the idea!