Friday, June 5, 2009

We're Done!!!

Well, as done as we can be for now. There's still the touch up painting and decorating to do, and until the inspectors give their final okay, our house is still technically "under construction".

For those of you just dying to see the remodel, I thought I'd pleasure you with the whole process, start to finish, sans lack of sleep. That, my friends, can only truly be experienced by those of us that were here. Count your blessings, is all I can say to that. I'm still EXHAUSTED!!!

Anyway, the kiddos were treated with a bath in "Mommy's Big Bath Tub" every night. Mostly because they were in the way in the other bathroom. Nonetheless, Morgan thought she was in the lap of luxury.


After the kids went to bed that first night, the men went to the all too familiar Home Depot. Sorry the picture is blurry, but when Lauren and I saw them pulling into the driveway like this, we couldn't stop laughing! Travis rode home from "The De-pot" straddling the 2 by 4's after one fell out of the Pilot!
It's official! Once the carpet is cut and gone, there's no going back! Morgan woke up Thursday morning and said, "Oh, the carpet. Where'd the carpet go? I like my carpet!"

I thought I'd break the monotony occasionally with random pics of everyone. Here's Lauren and Kaden just hanging out.

The electrical's done Friday morning, sometime about 1 a.m. (no that's NOT a typo, though I wish it were). Don't touch these switches. I'm serious. You'll get zapped. I did. I just had someone else turn the light on the rest of the week.

Sadie had to test out the new flooring before it was installed. She saw Travis pull it out and crawled (as fast as her army crawl can go) right over to them. Pretty cute.

Morgan helped Travis pull up the old flooring. She thought it was pretty cool that she and Travis both wore matching yellow shirts. Friday happened to be "Twin Day" for Morgan and Travis at our house.

This is the amount of space the girls had to play in all day Friday. That's the coffee table boundary in the center and the couch boundary at the bottom. Complete their "cage" with the sliding door just past the TV and the half wall just behind me (I'm taking the pic). Talk about tight quarters.

Alas, the inspectors came and we passed the rough inspections on both framing and electrical. Good job Travis!

Travis pulled up all the carpeting and Sadie then changed her mind about the flooring. So, we opted to just leave it this way:

Just kidding! Here's our new flooring! We love it! Sadie especially; she can scoot across this floor twice as fast as on the carpet!!

We went to the zoo on Saturday. It was a gorgeous day to go and the kids were so good the whole time!

All the animals at the zoo just exhausted Kaden. Here he is with all things girly. A girly carseat, a pink blanket, and Sadie's cowgirl doll.

Later Saturday night, Brian installed more flooring while Travis muddded the drywall. Apparently Morgan misread the memo about work attire and felt her winter jacket and summer pajamas would be more appropriate. Well, it is only May...

Here's the hallway! Only texture, paint, flooring, and baseboards to go!
Every major construction project has to have a hiccup in it. Ours was the pleasant surprise under the vinyl flooring. Our builder stapled particle board to the subfloor and then glued the vinyl to the particle board. Oh, and the staples were about every 2 inches. Enter pry bar, hammers, strong men, and worker bees (i.e. Mackenzie and Lauren). 4-6 hours later (it was so late we lost track of time), we had the flooring up and ready for the new floors.
How am I supposed to cook dinner? No stove, no dishwasher, no refrigerator, no counter space!!! Enter takeout...

As if I didn't have enough messes to deal with already, I thought I'd give Sadie her first Oreo. I blame that mistake on the sleep deprivation. What was I thinking??? She took a baby wipe bath before I even pulled her out of the highchair. But, she loved it!!
"Mommy, can I watch 'Tars' for nap time today"
"Umm, sure, Morgan."
That lasted about 5 minutes.

Okay, the dishwasher is now in the new bedroom. How will we wash dishes???
Travis to the rescue! Not really. Paper plates to the rescue!!
I just thought Morgan's face was so stinkin' cute in this pic! And, Kaden wanted to show off his feminine side in Sadie's pj's.

Brian, exhausted, with the 3 kiddos. They truly were troopers. We all were. It was a L-O-N-G week! Oh, and it was a little cold in the basement, so Kaden borrowed Sadie's purple pajamas, too. They were pretty cute with his red hair!
The view from inside the new bedroom. On the right is the closet and you can see the fridge and the girls' bedroom door through the doorway (to help you orient yourself if you've been in our house before).

This is what the front room looked like for the majority of the week. We were all too tired to pick up toys and they were going to be out again in less than 6 hours, so I didn't bother picking them up last week.

From the kitchen, here's the new bedroom. We decided on a soft yellow color, so it can double as an office for now, and possibly a nursery in a few years.

Here's our new floor and in the top corner, you can catch our new dining room light. And yes, the paint cans are still sitting in the dining room. If I waited until all the little "odds and ends" painting touch ups were done to post pictures, it would be a long time. So, please, excuse the mess...

So, there you have it. Our first home remodel project. And, we're still alive to tell about it. Overall, it was an awful, exhausting week, but we love our floors and our new room!

Thanks, Travis, Lauren, and Kaden for coming out to help us with our project!!

10 comments:

Diana said...

What a big project. I love the new floors and a new bedroom too. Wow!! I know it was a lot of work. You guys did awsome.

Mother Goose said...

Looks great!

Lauren said...

Thanks for recapping the week! I may just put a link to your blog since your post was so good...saves me the time! Love you guys so much. Your house looks great. We sure appreciate the opportunity to come and help.....we are still recovering too....we came home to company! Headed to CA for your parents project tomorrow after church. Thanks again!

Carie Annie said...

Wow it looks beautiful!

ashley g. said...

It looks FABULOUS!!! Congratulations on surviving such a huge project- and what good friends you have! You are going to love having hard flooring- clean-up is sooooo easy. Hope things are well for y'all!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

I'm SO impressed with everything--including the fact that you did all this with THREE little children around! OK, so now I want to go to Denver and see it in person. The flooring looks gorgeous. Get lots of naps this week! The good thing is the exhaustion will go away but the new bedroom and flooring will always be yours to enjoy!!

Alie said...

It looks WONDERFUL! I bet you just love the hardwood now, eh?
Morgan's face looks ticked off in the zoo picture...are you sure she survived the week?

Skinners said...

super cool! I didn't know you were doing a huge project! Props to you. It looks great!

Courtney said...

Looks good guys! I am loving the floor.

Natalie said...

Oooooh... I love it! Nice job. Sounds exhausting ;)