
(She even makes a cute "breeeee" elephant sound and waves her trunk to go along with her costume!)
So began her insistence on being an elephant for Halloween. Forget the fact the my sewing machine is currently out of commission, so I am left to using my serger and--probably the bigger issue--I DON'T SEW CLOTHES!!!
My next stop was the pattern books at JoAnn Fabric. Surely Morgan's not the ONLY kid whose ever wanted to be an elephant before! I perused what seemed like thousands of pages of patterns, and found one infant pattern for an elephant costume. I went up to the cutting counter and asked the lady if she knew of any other elephant patterns. She said that when her daughter wanted to be an elephant, she rented an elephant costume from the costume shop. (Translation: you got me! Good luck on the elephant!)
So, I took a good look at the trunk on the pattern picture and set out to find gray elephant trunk fabric. After locating the only gray bolt of fabric in the store and procuring a few squares of gray felt, I returned home to begin making an elephant.
After I finished serging the trunk, ears, and tail (a sewing machine would have been easier, but, currently not an option), Morgan helped me stuff each component of her elephant costume with "fluffies" (i.e. batting). So, now we have the elephant parts, we just needed to find a gray sweatsuit to attach it to (remember, I don't sew clothes!). Of course the stores only had black, blue, green, etc. sweatsuits or printed gray ones. I kept looking at every store I went to and finally came across this legging set and turned it into an elephant! Even if it's 2 sizes too big, it's the best I could find!
Next year, I think I'll try and convince her to be a mouse! Most of the work will already be done!
--------------------------------------
Also introducing...Morgan the Pumpkin!
She found the Halloween box in the basement and decided to play dress up! This is the pumpkin outfit she wore as an infant, she just didn't do the snaps at the bottom.


9 comments:
Nice job, M! Especially for not being a clothing designer!
Your creative juices are going CRAZY, Mackenzie! Way to go!
HAHAHA! Wow, Tyler and I laughed really hard at this. She is so dang cute! Good job, Kenzie! It's even cuter than you described on the phone. :)
LOVE THE ELEPHANT!!! SHE LOOKS AWESOME!
Hey do you have any costume sin Ben's size. My girls are going to be fairies, but I have nothing for Ben....
Way to go on the costume! I'm still trying to figure out what to do for Edison...
You need to rename your blog. It should now be known as "The Amazing Words of One Who Is Capable of ALL Things Crafty."
INCREDIBLE!!
Nice Job! You are such a nice mommy!
Wow great job!!!
BELIEVE IT OR NOT, Kalen also wanted to be an elephant, but last year. I did as you did and went to work looking for patters, but unlike you, I gave up. It looked too difficult for this beginner sewer. I took him to Old Navy and we found a dinosaur costume he liked just as much---so, good for you!!
Post a Comment