Thursday, August 19, 2010

Guess What We've Found...

In our backyard!!!

Last week, as I was weeding our yard, I had about 5-10 minutes left of weeding to do, but the girls were starting to get restless (we had been outside for over an hour and it was getting warm). Knowing they were trying to catch a butterfly when we first went outside, I tried to distract/entertain them for just a few more minutes and sent them on another butterfly hunt.

They didn't find a butterfly. They found something way better! Somewhere amidst the broccoli and zucchini, they spotted a bird. Sadie quickly climbed up into the garden to get closer (which, it actually didn't mind) as it made its way down the garden to under the tree where Morgan happened to be watching it from.

Morgan quickly named her new friend "Leia" (I've never seen Star Wars, so I have no idea where that one came from!).

Several minutes later, it was time to come inside. Morgan picked a leaf off the tree and set it on the dirt, "in case Leia gets hungry."

Fast forward to the next morning. Morgan wakes up and runs to our bedroom window, anxious to see her friend once again. Well, we didn't find Leia, but look what was resting in her spot!


The fox was only there for a couple of minutes, because when I went to show Sadie, it was gone!
But, it's been over a week now and everyday, Morgan goes out under the tree to meet Leia. She's been there at least one time each day. We'll be so sad when winter hits and Morgan's little friend moves to warmer weather! I've loved watching her (from a distance) fall in love with this little bird!

4 comments:

Cam and Chelle said...

Cool pic! I figured maybe the fox ate the birdie!

Courtney said...

I thought for sure you were going to say that the fox ate the bird! That's kind of cool- I've never seen a fox outside of the zoo.

Kira said...

COOL!!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Wow! Cute story, and cool ending!