A friend reminded me the other day of something very funny that Sadie did a couple of months ago and I had totally forgotten about it, so I'm writing it down now so I don't forget about it forever.
Let's start with a little bit of background. My friend, Jen, and I "kid swap" every once in a while to help each other out. Not only does it help us out in a pinch, but all of our kids (she's got 4 and we've got 2) LOVE to get together.
Before last week's kid swap: When I told Morgan and Sadie their friends were coming to play, Sadie simply sighed and said, "I like Eli. He's so cute!" (That's their little boy Sadie's age.) Morgan informed her that Eli's no longer a baby and he can't be "cute", to which Sadie just repeated, "I like Eli. He's so cute."
But, that's not the story I want to remember. Here's the story:
A couple of months ago, Jen watched the girls during my ultrasound. When we got to her house to pick up the girls, naturally, we rang the doorbell. While we waited for someone to answer the door, here's what was happening on the other side of the door:
The doorbell rings. Sadie, who, moments before was perfectly happy playing with the other kids, without a care in the world, jumps up from playing, dashes to the front door (I think she may have even pushed Jen away from the door), and stands guard across it (you know, arms out, legs spread), screaming, "No! Don't open it! I don't want to go home! I want to play!" Brian and I are listening to this from the other side, but not quite able to make out what's happening. About 30 seconds later, Jen finally gets the door open, at which point, Sadie runs off back into the house, crying and yelling at us (Brian and I) to "Go away! Go away!" She did eventually decide to come home, but, if I remember correctly, there was another battle involved and she was not happy about it.
The girls went over to play again this morning, so I could get some packing done. And, when I showed up on the doorstep, Sadie was at the top of the stairs. She looked down at me and said, "I don't want to go home. I'm playing. I'm hiding from you."
I've been inside the Johansen's house--several times, in fact. And, nothing in particular has ever caught my eye as being so amazingly fun to play with that would warrant Sadie never wanting to leave. But, then, again, I'm no longer 2 years old--I must be a poor judge of fun toys and great playmates.
1 comment:
Hee, hee! HEEEEE!!!! You don't know it, but we would always inflate a humongous bounce house in the living room and a giant slide down the stairs everytime you left.
Post a Comment