Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Few Takeaways from General Conference

I know these are getting posted way late, as Conference was almost 2 months ago.  But, I had made note of these and snapped a picture with my phone so I wouldn't forget the following thoughts:


"It is our duty to try to be perfect,...to improve each day, and look upon our course last week and do things better this week; do things better today than we did them yesterday." President Lorenzo Snow, quoted by Elder Ulisses Soares in his talk, Be Meek and Lowly of Heart  
click for full talk

*This thought really spoke to me, as I'm trying to find a balance between forcing Morgan to practice the piano, and encouraging her to have a desire.  She always comes home from her lesson frustrated because she can't play her new material.  And, I've started breaking the pieces down into manageable sections so she doesn't feel overwhelmed.  
*I've also been giving a lot of thought to our family motto.  And, given our personalities, I think this one seems to suit us all pretty well.  We don't need to be perfect today, just better than we were yesterday.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Parents today wonder if there is a safe place to raise children.  There is a safe place.  It is in a gospel-centered home.  We focus on the family in the Church, and we counsel parents everywhere to raise their children in righteousness."  President Boyd K. Packer, The Key to Spiritual Protection
click for full talk

*This one caught my attention, because, at the time, Sadie was struggling to find her place--both at school and at home.  For those of you that are the middle child, you can very well relate to the Middle Child Syndrome.  We had considered pulling her out of school and homeschooling for Kindergarten, hoping that would give her a little bit more confidence and attention that she was so desperately screaming for.  Ultimately, we decided to keep her at school, but, have created a modified homework schedule with her, so she gets daily, one-on-one attention from just mom.  And, that has helped tremendously!

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Make scripture reading a part of your regular routine, and the blessings will follow.  There is in the scriptures a voice of warning, but there is also great nourishment....Children taught an understanding of the scriptures early in life will come to know the path they should walk and will be more inclined to remain on that path." President Boyd K. Packer, The Key to Spiritual Protection
click for full talk

*I have noticed a big difference in my life when I read my scriptures regularly and when I don't.  I'm not perfect, so, unfortunately, I have a comparison.  But, one thing Brian and I, as parents, are working really hard on is reading the scriptures with our kids every night (once again, not perfect).  I love it when we read from the scriptures and my kids then tell me the story because they are familiar with it.  It's one of those "Proud Mommy" moments.  



No comments: